Home Energy Upgrades
What are the qualifying home energy upgrades?
To be eligible for up to $5,000 back, you must complete at least 2 of the following upgrades and heat your home with a natural gas furnace or boiler.†
Customers who complete more than three upgrades also qualify for an additional bonus for each additional upgrade installed—up to a maximum total incentive of $5,000. For example:
- Install 3 upgrades - customer will receive additional $150
- Install 4 upgrades - customer will receive additional $500
- Install 5 or more upgrades - customer will receive additional $750
Your Registered Energy Advisor will walk you through all the rebates your home is eligible for and explain how to get the additional bonus.
High-Efficiency Furnace or Boiler
For replacing a less than 96% AFUE natural gas furnace with a 96% AFUE or higher condensing natural gas furnace. Note: If you are upgrading your natural gas furnace, you must complete at least 2 additional upgrades (a total of 3 upgrades) to qualify for the Home Efficiency Rebate.
For replacing a less than 90% AFUE natural gas boiler with a 90% AFUE or higher condensing natural gas boiler.
Note: The combi system qualifies as a boiler and is eligible for the rebate. Boiler that generates space heating and domestic hot water (includes AFUE rating). Maximum one eligible heating system rebate per meter. Your home's primary heating source must be natural gas.
Add at least R23 to 100% of basement
Add at least R12 to 100% of basement
Add at least R23 to 100% of crawl space wall
Add at least R12 to 100% of crawl space wall
Add at least R32 to 100% of floor above crawl space
NEW** Additional Bonus: An additional bonus of $500 for insulating 100% of basement.
The 20% minimum requirement will be lowered to a 5% minimum requirement if the customer completes 100% of their basement.
*Can qualify for either crawl space wall or floor above crawl space rebate
Must upgrade a minimum of 20% of total wall area. The rebate is pro-rated based on the percentage of wall area insulated and does not include walls between individual units. For a semi-detached, rebates are 75% of the amounts shown.
If insulating 100% of basement; only a 5% minimum of total wall area is required.
Minimum R8 required for existing insulation. For example, if the foundation has 90% insulation of R8 or more, customer can insulate the available 10% by adding R12 or R23 and be eligible for the $500 bonus. If existing insulation is less than R8, customer will not be eligible).
Foundation exterior walls include pony wall (P) and basement walls (B) and crawlspace exterior walls (C) but not floor above crawlspace (F).
When both a basement and crawl space are present, all applicable rebates are pro-rated to a maximum of $1,000 based on the total combined wall area of basement and crawl space. For example, if your total foundation area is 40% crawl space and 60% basement, and you add at least R23 to 100% of the crawl space area, but 0% of the basement area, then you would qualify for a $320 rebate (40% x $800 = $320).
Exterior wall insulation
Add at least R20 to 100% of building
Add at least R9 to 100% of building to achieve a minimum of R12
Add at least R3.8 to 100% of building to achieve a minimum of R12
Rebates are pro-rated based on the total wall area % upgraded. Min 20% of total wall area upgraded. Homes with less than 2x4 structure are exempt from R12 minimum with photo documentation of wall structure.
For Increasing attic insulation to at least R60 from R35 or less
For Increasing cathedral/flat roof insulation by at least R14
Must upgrade a minimum of 20% of the total ceiling area. When the roof consists of more than one type and/or sections (i.e., any combination of attic, cathedral ceiling and flat roof), rebates are pro-rated based on the total ceiling area percentages upgraded. The rebate for any combination of attic, cathedral ceiling and flat roof cannot exceed $500.
Achieve 10% or more above base target
Achieve base target
For each window, door or skylight replaced with an ENERGY STAR® qualified model.
$40 rebate per rough opening. Bay window considered one rough opening.
- For replacing existing natural gas water heater with 0.80 EF or higher tank type ENERGY STAR® qualified natural gas water heater.
- For replacing existing natural gas water heater with 0.90 EF or higher tankless ENERGY STAR® qualified natural gas water heater.
- NOTE: The combo system qualifies as a water heater and is eligible for the rebate. Domestic water heater (usually with air handler - fan) that generates hot water and space heating (includes EF rating)
- Maximum one water heater rebate per home. Switching to/from an electric water heater does not qualify for the rebate.
- Replacing a heating system and water heater with a combo system counts as one measure and qualifies for water heater rebate only
- Replacing existing combo system with furnace/boiler and water heater counts as one measure and qualifies for water heater rebate only
- Replacing the air handler with a furnace without replacing the water heater does not qualify for a rebate